Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Individual Single-Game Scoring Records
BasketForum - Basketball talk. NBA, Euroleague, A1... > Στο γραφείο του προέδρου > BasketForum International
luckyshow
Hello:

I am unsure if I am in correct place to wriet about this. I am compiling an international database of single game scoring records for all leagues and countries. I am looking for both women's/girls' and men's/boys' records for most points in one game, the current records and as far back as possible the old records. In adition I want all performances where one female player scores 49 points or above and similar for men, starting at 55 points.

To show what I am talking about see these URLs:
The men's list is inside the 100 point-a-game list:
http://www.mindspring.com/~luckyshow/basketball/100pts.htm

The female players high scoring list is amidst a history of women's basketball, see the international results near professional lists in second half of the page:
http://www.mindspring.com/~luckyshow/baske...menPioneers.htm

I am hoping this is correct forum place for this. I am looking for current league records past and present, both men and women, both levels, as well as old defunct leagues's records where known.

Thank you for any help....in addition please tell me if this is correct place for this question or if in addition I should ask this in other pats of these basketforum.gr

Thank you for all and any help and assistance in this matter to add your land to the growing world-wide historic database,

Paul Luchter
New York
Amazing Sports Lists
http://www.mindspring.com/~luckyshow/amazingsportslists.htm

luckyshow@mindspring.com
NBAholic
Hi, Paul Luchter

Unfortunately, the data for the best scoring performances ever in Greece, though existant, is not very easy to find and is somewhat unreliable, because most lists include the highest career-highs of some players, instead of the real highest performances.

Without searching, the highest scoring performances I recall are

1. Mumoglou A. 143 pts (in around 1972)
2. Giannakis P. 73 (in 1981)
3. Tsandalis P. 71 (in the 70's)
4. Galis N. 62 (1981)
5. Galis N. 61 (1981)
6. Goumas V. 61 (?) (in the 70's)
7. Papageorgiou H. 60 (?) (in the 70's)
8. Angram D. 57 (1990)
9. Galis N. 56 (1989)

Galis must have scored 55+ about 10 times, but it's doubtful that anyone else did it more than once.

I have no clue for women's records.

For more detailed results, maybe you should ask reliable sources like the Galanis Sports Data, or buy a Greek league basketball guide...

PS. I've been searching myself for years to compile some lists with all 40-point games and Triple-Doubles in NBA history, but I've found limited data. Do you have any good suggestions about this?

Regards,

NBAholic.
luckyshow
Thank you for this information.

1.) What team(s) were these men on?
2.) Give me the correct name for league, please.
3.) Are any first names known, such as for N. Galis (the biggest superstar in Greece basketball?)

I will attempt to look for sources you metion, I have difficulties filling out forms in languages. (I hardly write English correctly (LOL))

As to NBA, there are places you can probably find this information, though I am unsure if they go below 50 points. Although I am putting together a team by team high-score records I only have found 14 of the NBA teams...But I think they have all this information at APBR (Association for Professional Basketball Research)...It is free to join. The only thing is you end up with much mail from this List about NBA, much mail.

This is address is you want toa sk them where the data yous eek may be found:
APBR@yahoogroups.com

I find my numbers sometimes from them, but mostly by my own research on internet. The New York Times has all their publication back to 1857 in a database available from my library. I even can use at home. I search for some of this tehre. It would not be as good for over 30 years ago, they wouldn't report entire out of town games always, or boxscores.
So try APBR, write them, or I can for you if you want....

Thanks again and I will list these feats once you tell me team and league.
Thanks, this may have been fastest reply yet (maybe I am actually writing when people are awake in Greece!
NBAholic
1.) What team(s) were these men on?
2.) Give me the correct name for league, please.
3.) Are any first names known, such as for N. Galis (the biggest superstar in Greece basketball?)

A) The name of the Greek League was "First National Category" up to 1985-86 and then it became "A1" (Category). All these games concern this level only. I have no info for smaller categories. So, from the 9 games I mentioned, the last 2 came in A1 era, and the others in "1st Nat. Category" one...

B ) The names were

1. Mumoglou Aristides (not sure about the correct spelling) His team was Iraklis. That historic game was against the team of VAO and, if I remember correctly, the final score was 170-94.

2. Giannakis Panagiotis. His team back then was Ionikos.

3. Tsandalis Paraskevas (Not 100% sure about the name, he isn't very well-known. His team back then was, according to one source, Sporting).

4. Galis Nikos (Nick). His team was Aris. His 62-point game was against Giannakis, who posted his own 73-pointer in that game.

6. Goumas Vasilis. I can't give you his team, because he changed team throughout his career, and I don't know where he posted his own record. His performance has a question-mark, because I don't remember the exact number of points.

7. Papageorgiou Haris. Team: Aris. Again, his personal best has a question-mark. I have the exact number somewhere, but it's impossible to find it these days.

8. Angram David. Team: Iraklis

Sorry for the missed info. As I already mentioned, individual scoring database prior to 1988-89 is difficult to be found (not many websites deal, either...), so don't be surprised if I missed a couple of games or made a few minor errors. The volume of data we have isn't even close to the American standards. Even categories like rebounds, assists, etc, became official only after 1986-87. In 1988-89, boxscores were added-and, talking about boxscores, even the NBA doesn't seem to have an official boxscore database prior to 1991-92.

I've searched APBR and APBR message boards and have found valuable, rare stats, which are found only in teams' media guides. Eventually, I may become a member!

And, you're right about the hour, the difference between NY and Greece must be like 7 hours or so.
luckyshow
Thanks again!

Is this correct way to list Hellenic names? With first name coming second?

As to NBA records, it is true it is hard to find databases...the NBA itself sometimes only lists records for after ABA-NBA merger, (later 1970s)..

APBR is free, so no worry about that part..someone tehre may have this data or tel you something about it....

Yes US records can be large....and go back to 1982 (though one can't really find most of that and few scored very high back then anyway, did you realize that early pro basketball in USA, I am talking to 1930s, was a game with two kinds of dribbling, one was the way it is now-some say NCAA formed because AAU didn't want to allow dribbling at all, and later just a couple bounces-, the other dribbling was akin to rugby or American tackle football, where there was no travelling and tehre was grabbing and tackling...)(also itw as played inside a cage and ball was lawys in play, though cage may have been to protect players from the rowdy fans)..

143 points in a game is amazing, it is almost the highest on my list (especially if you discount he 13 year old scoring 272 points, it must have been like if Wilt Chamberlain was playing a team of 13 year olds!)
NBAholic
Is this correct way to list Hellenic names? With first name coming second?

No, only China works this way, I believe (lol)! I just filled in my list, but obviously, first names come first. wink.gif

143 points in a game is amazing, it is almost the highest on my list (especially if you discount he 13 year old scoring 272 points, it must have been like if Wilt Chamberlain was playing a team of 13 year olds!)

You know the David Thompson-George Gervin case?
That was the case in this game, too. He was chasing the 1st scoring place, his team had only 1 game and he needed about 65-70 points. I don't know how easily he scored (according to what I've heard, he never bothered to leave the opponents' basket, even when the opponent team was attacking!) or how tall his opponents were (not more than 6-0 or 6-1, for sure), but I've read he had only 1-6 FT's. And 71 FGM!

But like I said, you'd better first read some official guide before you record all these, cause I might have commited a few mistakes...
luckyshow
I don't know Gervin-Thompson story or at least am unsure which you mean...

As to official guides/record books, where would they be and would I be able to understand them!?
NBAholic
I don't know Gervin-Thompson story or at least am unsure which you mean...

I'm talking about the 1977-78 NBA scoring race, and their last respective games. If you don't know about them, search in the web, you'll find info, that's guaranteed.

As to official guides/record books, where would they be and would I be able to understand them!?

I don't really know, things aren't well organized. Maybe the Galanis Sports Data (search it through Google or another search engine) may inform you better (if they have an e-mail). There may exist something more specialized that I haven't heard, of course.
Maybe specialized sports' book stores may have useful books.

Unfortunately, among the few record lists I've ever come up with, none was in English.

From 1988 to 2003, we had the "Triponto" magazine in Greece, and I used to mail them at times, but it's closed now...
luckyshow
If I was shown the words for "points" "single-game high score", "most points", well, all the appropriate words I could find the records, sound out the names even as maybe I couldn't spell them right in Roman/Latin alphabet, I could ask you guys. I know most of the numbers now. If you go to the 100 point page I added the 143 in its own category (I haven't to figure this out how to put the names at the top. You ever see Chamberlain, the man was super-human, he would crush Shaq but he wouldn't even have to, he'd spin around him while actually dribbling the ball like you guys do under the basket,,,[back then there was a travelling call and a palming call in NBA, well I mean violations that wre called and they called them on hopping around under the basket, at least for two steps] I was once listening to a Knicks game when I was a kid, before the Knicks were any good, and after they had been pretty good years before. The Knicks were not so great,,,they started a line up of Butcher, Butler, Buckner and Budd, all forgettable players, and Richie Guerin, I think he is in the Hall of Fame, but the Knicks didn't get better until they traded him and...well, that is history and we are discussing high scoring games, and the reason for my tale is that this game which I listened to on the radio is the game where Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points on the Knicks in a game where the Knicks scored 147 they lost by almost 20 because Chamberlain was amazing...he just backed off and sank a jumper or a hook shot, the old fashioned kind..

In college he tried to dunk on foul attempts, on foul shots. So they changed the rule so you couldn't leave the line until the ball left your hands. The only bad on him was foul shots, but after he started shooting FTs underhand he never missed those any more. He spurned the NBA and played with the Harlem Globetrotters for a year and in 1960 he quit again (but soon was back), Cousey saying that now the NBA could get back to normal....

But no, I could not search in Greek.

For getting this far I have a treat. A great picture of the sanderson High School (Florida) Girls Basketball team, 1942:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~flbaker/sanderson11.jpg

Thanks again.
NBAholic
Hello. I did some web research in Latin characters and I found the 143-point game reference at the end of this page:

http://members.aol.com/bradleyrd/eurochmp.html

Fortunately, I got the year right.
His name is spelled a little differently, but these are preferances, since we don't use the Latin alphabet.

And a couple of corrections/additional info from yesterday's references:

1) David Angram's 57-pointer came in 1991. He had 17/17 FT in that game. But he also had a 59-point game the same year, where he shot 21/30 FG.

2) That Ionikos-Aris game finished 114-113, but I'm not sure who won (most people say Aris). It needed an OT.

3) Galis' 61-point game (his second best) came against Iraklis.

4) The official name I found for Tsandalis is "Paraschos", which isn't really different from "Paraskevas", but anyway...

And I agree on your notes about Wilt Chamberlain. The guy was awesome, arguably the GOAT. Too bad that most of his few 10-second highlight films come from his latter years, as a Laker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.