Ακολουθεί μία πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα συνέντευξη του Καζλάουσκας στο χθεσινό τεύχος της λιθουανικής εφημερίδας "Kauno Diena", όπου είπε πολλά πράγματα, μερικά εκ των οποίων αμφιβάλλω αν θα τα είχε πει στα ελληνικά ΜΜΕ.
Μπορεί να κουραστείτε από τα πολλά αγγλικά, αλλά αξίζει τον κόπο να τη διαβάσετε.
Σημειώνω με bold τα σημεία που πιστεύω ότι χρήζουν αναφοράς.
Καλή ανάγνωση!

How would you assess your first season in "Olympiakos"?

I expected a bit more - we underachieved overall. Of course, many objective circumstances stood in our way. At the beginning of the season, the team's roster was bad, it was crashed in the Greek Cup by "Panathinaikos", then lost a match at home to one of the weakest teams of the league, which turned out to be relegated after this season. In such circumstances, I arrived to "Olympiakos". We started to climb out of the hole, played several decent matches. However, when the club dismissed Milan Tomic (player-coach), a real silent war started. There was a group of players who supported the dismissed persons. This "war" was protracted and dull, having negative effects on our results, and lasting until the New Year - until we bought new players. Only then the work in the team became easier. If I remember correctly, our balance in the league was 2-8 by then. Afterwards, we managed to make a positive win-loss balance and rose to the 5th place. Then our short roster told its word - I had to play with only 7 players' rotation, the physical loads led to some injuries. We had some ups and downs, also some matches, frankly speaking, were stolen by referees (in Greece, this is a very acute problem). We were on the verge of play-offs mostly, and managed to get there. Losing in the quarterfinals to "Panathinaikos", we took place 8. Hence, the result is the same as the previous season, although the roster didn't have the same stars. This year, for the first time in "Olympiakos" history, not a single of our players took part in the Greek All-Star game.

It's not good, when you don't prepare a team for the season, come later and have to be responsible for the results. It's hard to evaluate my own work. However, the club proposed a contract extension to me - so they are probably satisfied.

You have a reputation as a strict coach, who has his independent opinion. When the turmoil in the club started, didn't you want to leave everything and go home?

There were such moments. The biggest problem was that the club announced the names of the players dismissed, but the club president went for some weeks abroad - so all the formalities were left unattended for. There was a horrible situation - the players "dismissed" continued to train and to play. There was a disruptive work in the team for several weeks. It was in that period, that we lost by 50 points to "Efes" and by 30 points to "Estudiantes". This continued until the point that I said enough is enough, and declared that I'm leaving.

In Lithuania, training holds more importance, the head coach has a bigger overall influence on the team. In Greece, there's much more psychological warfare, influence games, behind-the-scene maneuvres. They think up such things, that your head can start turning from disbelief.

Why did you finally decide to stay in "Olympiakos"?

A young and ambitious new vice-president came to the club, Mr. Angelopoulos, a member of an old and rich Greek family. I see how he wants to change the situation. During the season, the press published a lot how Kazlauskas wages war with the Serbs because of their nationality. It's not true - I have a huge respect for Serbian basketball school, their players and coaches. That was not my war - rather, I guess, someone used me for the intrigues. Various talks and behind-the-scenes actions hurt my ambitions. Maybe that was why I decided to stay and proove my worth. The club, which had been rolling down for 4 years, committed not to repeat the same mistakes. We agreed to try to create, and not to destroy.

Leaving Athens for the summer, you probably left the list of players you'd like to see in your team?

Yes, I left both my clothes for the Greek weather and the list of players. From this season's team, most probably only one player will be left.

There are rumours about the Lithuanians that "Olympiakos" and Kazlauskas are after.

I know those rumours. But first of all, you have to know that Greece has a couple of dozen dailies, about 10 of which are sports papers. If you repeat everything they write, all the names - you'll be lost. It's true - I'm coming from the Lithuanian basketball school, so I'd really like to have 2-3 Lithuanians in my team, but otherwise - there's a lot of thinking up by the Greek media. When I tell about my wish to have some Lithuanians - some Greek journalists look up the free Lithuanians this summer, and announce the list of players "wanted by Kazlauskas". Of course, I got nothing against that list - they often write almost the whole NT of Lithuania, with names that any coach of Europe would be happy to have. However, the reality is different from those writings. First of all, we have to assure the signatures of necessary Greek players for the next season. We don't want to repeat mistakes - we need to sign with good Greek basketballers, because during the championship we cannot change them. Then we'll look at the positions which need to be filled and think, which USA or EU players to bring. I'd like to see some Lithuanians among them. The first Lithuanian, to whom our club phoned, was Sarunas Jasikevicius.

What was Jasikevicius' answer?

He replied that he wants to go to NBA. I told my club bosses that I won't try to persuade Sarunas otherwise. I am confident, that he can not only play in the NBA, but be among the best there.

How were your living conditions in Greece?

Superb. I liked my flat a lot, and the weather. Athens is a paradise, where you can bathe in the sea during the winter.

On the other hand, I didn't get well with the Greek mentality - the penchant for little lying and laziness, which often rattled my nerves.

Who will work with the team, while you're with the China NT?

My assistant Alvydas Pazdrazdis, as well as other assistants. I'll come back to Athens in the second half of September, since the Asian championship ends on 16 September. I understand, that in the future I'll have only select one of the jobs - it's too difficult to reconcile them.

Do you expect Yao in the China NT? He had mentioned about a rest this summer.

As far as I know, he'll be with our NT. Those talks about a rest were denied.

You'll continue on the foundations, built together with Dell Harris and his staff from the previous season. Will you try to introduce some innovations?

I think I'll change some things - we had some discussions with Dell the previous season, and our opinions were not always the same. But the overall direction will remain the same, I think.